Emergency information in English

Emergency information from official Swedish sources is mainly published in Swedish. Here is some advice about how to get information about emergencies in Sweden if you do not understand Swedish.
  • In the case of quickly unfolding events or emergencies, information from Swedish authorities in English and other languages than Swedish may initially be limited.
  • The municipality (”Kommunen”) will publish information about local emergencies, crises and accidents which affects citizens or visitors. Also, any authority responsible for handling an emergency or cisis (the Police, the regions, the counties et cetera), is obliged to inform the public about the events. This is usually done on the authority's web site, through press dispatches to media and on social media. Facebook and Twitter are commonly used by many Swedish authorities.   
  • Krisinformation.se will compile and dispatch official information about crises and emergencies from the authorities on the web site Krisinformation.se, on Facebook, and on Twitter. Normally, information will be in Swedish only, but during large-scale events we strive to publish important messages in English. 
  • Use online translation tools in order to follow information from the authorities on the web and in social media. Krisinformation.se will publish information from the authorities and other actors within the crisis management system. Use the web links published on Krisinformation.se to find information directly from the responsible Swedish authorities.
  • If there is something you do not understand or need explained, ask Swedes to help you. Most Swedes will be willing and able to assist. Do not hesitate to ask people about the meaning of warning messages or information from Swedish authorities. In most cases, you will be able to get information in English directly from the responsible authorities.
  • Use the official Swedish phone numbers for assistance in English. Call phone number 112 for alerting Police, ambulance, or the fire services. Call 113 13 for information about large-scale accidents and emergencies in Sweden. Other helplines may be used by the municipalities, healthcare authorities, or the Police. Call 114 14 for non-urgent questions to the Police. This number can be used as a helpline in emergencies handled by the Police. Call 1177 for advice on diseases, health and healthcare in Sweden.  
  • The Swedish public local radio, Sveriges Radio P4, will report about accidents and emergencies, being Sweden’s public radio emergency channel. This channel also mediates so-called Important notices to the public (”Viktigt meddelande till allmänheten” or ”VMA”). Important notices to the public is the warning system used by Swedish authorities to alert the public when health or human life may be at stake. All such notices are published by Krisinformation.se and on Krisinformation.se's Facebook or Twitter accounts, Swedish Television, Swedish Radio and other media channels (in Swedish). A siren system is used for urgent notices in populated areas. Important notices to the public can be distributed to mobile phones in the area as text messages.
  • Use online translation tools to follow important emergency information published on this web site or on Krisinformation.se's Facebook or Twitter accounts. Swedish local radio, P4, is the Swedish public emergency radio channel. Sveriges Radio P4 Stockholm. Choose the P4 channel of your region to follow reports about local events on this page.      
  • For English-speakers, listen to Radio Sweden, the Swedish national radio’s foreign language channel.