Verified information from authorities compiles and conveys information from authorities and responsible actors to the public in the event of major incidents. But it can also be good to be aware of which authorities will usually have verified information relating to crises and disruption in public services.


Often, the municipality (“kommunen”) is affected by a disruption or an incident. The municipality is responsible for areas including

• drinking water 
• emergency services
• pre-school and compulsory school
• care of the elderly
• some other healthcare functions like daycentre care for the disabled.

Information from the municipality about crises and incidents in the area will normally be published on the municipality’s website, in their social media channels or through the Swedish Radio local P4 channels.

The municipal emergency services usually have a website, which you can find via a link from the municipality’s website, and most emergency services also provide information via social media and P4.

Information about disruption affecting drinking water is available from the local producer of drinking water. The electricity companies and transport companies in the area provide information about any disruption that is affecting their respective operations.  

If the internet and telephony services were to stop working, the municipality and the municipality’s emergency services could establish information sites or safe locations in the municipality’s premises or at other places.

County administrative boards

In the event of crises affecting several municipalities, the county administrative board (“länsstyrelsen”) has a responsibility to coordinate the municipalities’ information. This means that the county administrative board helps the municipalities to communicate about the incident. The most locally adapted information will still usually be available from the municipality. 


The region’s (“regionens”) responsibilities include healthcare and infection control. To find information about healthcare, the different regions have their own websites. The 1177 Vårdguiden service provides you with information about diseases and healthcare. You can also call phone number 1177 (a support number from the authority “Vårdguiden”) if you have any questions about diseases or healthcare. The Public Health Agency of Sweden (“Folkälsomyndigheten”) also provides information about infectious diseases.

The national level

At the national level, there are a number of authorities and other actors who communicate with the public about crises within their respective realm of responsibility. These include the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (“SMHI”), the Swedish Police (“Polisen”), the Swedish Armed Forces (“Försvarsmakten” or “Försvaret”), the Swedish Transport Administration (“Trafikverket”) and various electricity and telecommunication operators.

To enable everyone to obtain information about societal disruption and crises, regardless of which authorities have the information, there are a number of shortcuts and tools available.

  • publishes news about crises on the website, Facebook and Twitter. In the event of major emergencies, we will publish web links to the different authorities' information about the matter. 
  • You can call Sweden’s information number 113 13 and get answers to your questions about crises or societal disruption.
  • The local channel P4 is the Swedish Radio’s emergency channel, which will inform you about emergencies in your local area.