Swedish healthcare for visitors

If you are on a visit in Sweden and become ill or get injured, call 1177 for information about illnesses and about where to find your nearest healthcare centre. In case of emergency, call 112 for an ambulance.
Foto: Linda Otterstedt, Johnér bildbyrå.

112 – SOS Alarm for emergency care

Call emergency number 112 for an ambulance if someone is seriously ill or injured. You may also visit a hospital emergency room or a walk-in care center. 

1177 Vårdguiden provides advice about care and illnesses

1177 Vårdguiden (the Swedish Healthcare Guide) provides medical advice on care and illnesses. Visit 1177.se  or call phone number 1177. Calls are answered by registered nurses 24 hours a day. Use phone number +46 771 1177 00 if you are calling from a mobile phone registered in a country other than Sweden.   

Non-Emergency Care 

If you require care but are not acutely ill, contact a health centre ("vårdcentral") to book an appointment. Visit 1177.se or call 1177 if you need help finding a health centre. At the health centre, there are general practitioners and nurses who can refer you to specialist care should you need it.  Many medications are by prescription only. You may need to see a doctor at a health center to get a prescription. If you don’t speak Swedish, you may get an interpreter to help you. Notify the staff if you need an interpreter when booking your appointment. 

Who can get healthcare in Sweden?

People from other countries who become ill while temporarily in Sweden are always entitled to emergency care, or necessary care which cannot be postponed until they return home.

Adults and children who are seeking asylum, or who are in Sweden without permission, can get medical and dental care which cannot be postponed. If the asylum seeker is under 18 years of age, they will receive health and medical care on the same terms as children who live in the region where they seek care.

Visitors from EU and EEA countries

Those covered by social insurance in other EU and EEA countries can receive healthcare in Sweden on the same terms as Swedes. In Sweden, adults pay a fee for healthcare. There is a limit to how much you have to pay for healthcare and medications during one year. Bring your ID and your European Health Insurance Card. If you are insured in another Nordic country, it is sufficient to show your ID and provide your home address.  

Information on how prescriptions and purchase of medicinal products work in Sweden (for citizens of other EU Member States).

Visitors from other countries

People from other countries than the above may be entitled to certain care. If possible, check your insurance coverage in your home country before traveling. You can also contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency ("Försäkringskassan") at phone number 0771-524 524, for information about what applies to your country.